Syria death toll rising, EU to slap new sanctions
Damascus: Snipers and security forces
killed five civilians on Thursday in Syria`s flashpoint province of
Homs, activists said as the EU announced plans to slap new
sanctions on the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.
The latest bloodletting came as US President Barack
Obama called on the UN Security Council to impose sanctions on
Syria in a speech at the General Assembly in New York.
And in Geneva the Office of the United Nations High
Commissioner for Human Rights said the death toll from the
regime`s bloody crackdown on protesters since mid-March rose
to more than 2,700 people.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, quoting
residents, said snipers shot dead a man in the Baba Amro
neighbourhood of the city of Homs and killed another in the
town of Rastan, in the central province.
A man and a woman were also shot dead by security
forces in the city of Homs, where a man who died on Wednesday
of his injuries, while a 24-year-old hit by a bullet bled to
death in Talbisseh in the same province, it said.
Meanwhile, "security forces arrested three wounded
people in a Homs hospital and took them to an unknown
destination," the Observatory said.
And the body of a young man was found Wednesday in
Al-Huweiz village, in Hama province further north, "days after
he was arrested by security forces," it added.
The bodies of two other men were handed over to
relatives Wednesday in the northwestern province of Idlib,
where army and security troops have been conducting
operations, it said.
Activists meanwhile reported that security forces
arrested prominent dissident lawyer Imad Drubi today inside
the main Homs courthouse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'