Syria denies Assad comments reported by Russia news agency
Damascus: The office of Syria`s President Bashar al-Assad denied comments attributed to him on Sunday by a Russian news agency which quoted him as saying his departure is not up for discussion.
"What the Russian news agency Interfax has published as comments made by President Assad are inaccurate," said the Syrian presidency`s press office.
The statement came after Interfax quoted Assad sounding a defiant note in a meeting with Russian parliamentarians in the Syrian capital Damascus.
"If we wanted to surrender, we would have surrendered from the start," Assad had been quoted as saying by the Russian agency.
"This issue is not under discussion," he reportedly added when asked about Western and opposition calls for him to stand down.
"Only the Syrian people can decide who should take part in elections," he said in the remarks translated into Russian.
Syria`s regime and opposition are due to hold peace talks in Switzerland from Wednesday, with Assad`s role in Syria`s future expected to be a key stumbling block.
More than 130,000 people have been killed since the country`s bloody civil conflict began in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned for Rs 14 lakh
- Fourteen killed, over 20 wounded in suicide attack in Iraq's Kadhmiyah
- Meet 'Chaani-Sarman' from Ashutosh Gowariker's 'Mohenjo Daro'- See new poster
- Srinagar-Muzaffarbad bus service to resume tomorrow
- Congress to raise Kandhamal killings in Parliament