Syria deploys missile defence batteries towards Israel
Dubai: Syria has deployed missile defence batteries towards Israel in response to an alleged Israeli attack that targeted a Syrian army facility in the capital Damascus on Sunday, a media report said.
The pan-Arab al-Mayadeen TV cited security sources as saying that Syria will also provide the Lebanese Hezbollah with "new qualitative weaponry".
A statement issued after an emergency cabinet meeting Sunday said that Israel`s attack "opens the door widely before all eventualities", Xinhua reported.
"Syria will not accept its sovereignty to be infringed upon either at home or abroad," the statement said. It warned that those who mess with the sovereignty of Syria must carefully study their options and shoulder the responsibility.
Sunday`s air attack was the second Israeli one targeting the same military scientific research centre in the area of Jamraya, northwest of Damascus after one in January.
Israel said then that it was targeting a weapons convoy on its way to Lebanese Hezbollah militant group, a main ally to Syria.
After Sunday`s attack, Western reports cited intelligence sources as saying that the attack targeted a shipment of advanced Iranian-made weapons, including Fateh-110 missiles, heading to Hezbollah.
The Israeli administration previously warned that it will not allow the Syrian government to give sophisticated weapons to Hezbollah.
However, Syria`s state media charged that Israel targeted Damascus to give a boost to rebels.
Syria`s foreign ministry, meanwhile, said the air strike was an indication to the coordination between Israel and the radical groups affiliated with the Al Qaeda-linked al-Nusra Front.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India