Syria deploys missile defence batteries towards Israel
Dubai: Syria has deployed missile defence batteries towards Israel in response to an alleged Israeli attack that targeted a Syrian army facility in the capital Damascus on Sunday, a media report said.
The pan-Arab al-Mayadeen TV cited security sources as saying that Syria will also provide the Lebanese Hezbollah with "new qualitative weaponry".
A statement issued after an emergency cabinet meeting Sunday said that Israel`s attack "opens the door widely before all eventualities", Xinhua reported.
"Syria will not accept its sovereignty to be infringed upon either at home or abroad," the statement said. It warned that those who mess with the sovereignty of Syria must carefully study their options and shoulder the responsibility.
Sunday`s air attack was the second Israeli one targeting the same military scientific research centre in the area of Jamraya, northwest of Damascus after one in January.
Israel said then that it was targeting a weapons convoy on its way to Lebanese Hezbollah militant group, a main ally to Syria.
After Sunday`s attack, Western reports cited intelligence sources as saying that the attack targeted a shipment of advanced Iranian-made weapons, including Fateh-110 missiles, heading to Hezbollah.
The Israeli administration previously warned that it will not allow the Syrian government to give sophisticated weapons to Hezbollah.
However, Syria`s state media charged that Israel targeted Damascus to give a boost to rebels.
Syria`s foreign ministry, meanwhile, said the air strike was an indication to the coordination between Israel and the radical groups affiliated with the Al Qaeda-linked al-Nusra Front.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition