Syria deploys missile defence batteries towards Israel
Dubai: Syria has deployed missile defence batteries towards Israel in response to an alleged Israeli attack that targeted a Syrian army facility in the capital Damascus on Sunday, a media report said.
The pan-Arab al-Mayadeen TV cited security sources as saying that Syria will also provide the Lebanese Hezbollah with "new qualitative weaponry".
A statement issued after an emergency cabinet meeting Sunday said that Israel`s attack "opens the door widely before all eventualities", Xinhua reported.
"Syria will not accept its sovereignty to be infringed upon either at home or abroad," the statement said. It warned that those who mess with the sovereignty of Syria must carefully study their options and shoulder the responsibility.
Sunday`s air attack was the second Israeli one targeting the same military scientific research centre in the area of Jamraya, northwest of Damascus after one in January.
Israel said then that it was targeting a weapons convoy on its way to Lebanese Hezbollah militant group, a main ally to Syria.
After Sunday`s attack, Western reports cited intelligence sources as saying that the attack targeted a shipment of advanced Iranian-made weapons, including Fateh-110 missiles, heading to Hezbollah.
The Israeli administration previously warned that it will not allow the Syrian government to give sophisticated weapons to Hezbollah.
However, Syria`s state media charged that Israel targeted Damascus to give a boost to rebels.
Syria`s foreign ministry, meanwhile, said the air strike was an indication to the coordination between Israel and the radical groups affiliated with the Al Qaeda-linked al-Nusra Front.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings