Syria dismisses Obama threat as election ploy
Moscow: US President Barack Obama`s threat to intervene in Syria is an element of his election campaign, Syrian Deputy Prime Minister Kadri Jamil said Tuesday.
"As far as Obama`s statements are concerned, these are information and propaganda threats that are linked to the upcoming elections," Jamil said at a news conference hosted by RIA Novosti.
"There are all sorts of games that are being played in connection with US presidential elections."
The presidential election is set for Nov 6.
"After the Russian-Chinese veto (at the UN Security Council) the West is looking for an opportunity for military intervention in Syria, but we must say that such intervention is impossible," Jamil said.
"Those who are contemplating that evidently want to see the crisis expand and spill over beyond Syria."
He also said the issue of President Bashar al-Assad`s resignation could only be discussed after an all-Syria dialogue begins.
"Setting (Assad`s) resignation as a condition before dialogue means that there will be no dialogue," Jamil said.
He said that such an approach was an attempt to impose decisions on the Syrian people.
"I believe, first, the entire Syrian people should be asked. If this issue is being imposed on us from abroad, it is a very dangerous precedent in international relations," he said.
Since March 2011, the Syrian conflict has claimed up to 20,000 lives, according to estimates by various Syrian opposition groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH