Syria drops cluster bomb on playground, 10 children killed
Damascus: A Syrian government jet on Monday targeted a playground with cluster bombs, resulting in the death of at least 10 children, opposition activists said.
Activists said that a government MIG fighter jet dropped a couple of cluster bombs that landed on a playground in the village of Deir al-Asafir, east of Damascus, the BBC reported.
Video footage on internet showed slain bodies of children and their mothers devastated over the deaths.
The footage also showed what seemed like remains of cluster bombs on the ground.
The reports of playground attack on children comes at a time when the fighting between the opposition and government forces has intensified with the rebels claiming to have gained control of a key airbase yesterday.
Also, Syrian rebels today claimed to have captured a hydroelectric dam on the Euphrates river in the country`s north, that comes as a great strategic victory in wake of the recent fighting with Assad regime.
More than 40,000 people have been reportedly killed in the conflict that started in March 2011.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack