Syria drops cluster bomb on playground, 10 children killed
Damascus: A Syrian government jet on Monday targeted a playground with cluster bombs, resulting in the death of at least 10 children, opposition activists said.
Activists said that a government MIG fighter jet dropped a couple of cluster bombs that landed on a playground in the village of Deir al-Asafir, east of Damascus, the BBC reported.
Video footage on internet showed slain bodies of children and their mothers devastated over the deaths.
The footage also showed what seemed like remains of cluster bombs on the ground.
The reports of playground attack on children comes at a time when the fighting between the opposition and government forces has intensified with the rebels claiming to have gained control of a key airbase yesterday.
Also, Syrian rebels today claimed to have captured a hydroelectric dam on the Euphrates river in the country`s north, that comes as a great strategic victory in wake of the recent fighting with Assad regime.
More than 40,000 people have been reportedly killed in the conflict that started in March 2011.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her