Syria Electronic Army hacks US Marines website
Washington: Pro-Syria hackers broke into the internet recruiting site for the US Marine Corps, posting a message that urged US soldiers to refuse orders if Washington decides to attack Syria.
The site, www.marines.com, was paralysed for several hours Monday and redirected to a seven-sentence message "delivered by SEA" -- short for the Syrian Electronic Army.
The SEA is a hacker group that claimed responsibility for disrupting the New York Times, social networking website Twitter and others media websites, Xinhua reported.
The hackers posted six pictures showing people holding hand-written messages, including one that read "I will not fight for Al Qaida in Syria", referring to the rebels fighting government troops in Syria.
The SEA told US troops that the Syrian army was their ally rather than an enemy in fighting the common enemy of terrorism.
US Marine Corps spokesman Eric Flanagan said no information was put at risk in the hacking. The recruiting site is on a commercial network rather than the Pentagon`s network.
The US government has decided to launch a limited strike on Syria over its the alleged use of chemical weapons Aug 21, which the US claims killed 1,429 people, including 426 children.
President Barack Obama, however, said he will seek Congressional authorisation before going ahead with the military action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why