Syria Electronic Army hacks US Marines website
Washington: Pro-Syria hackers broke into the internet recruiting site for the US Marine Corps, posting a message that urged US soldiers to refuse orders if Washington decides to attack Syria.
The site, www.marines.com, was paralysed for several hours Monday and redirected to a seven-sentence message "delivered by SEA" -- short for the Syrian Electronic Army.
The SEA is a hacker group that claimed responsibility for disrupting the New York Times, social networking website Twitter and others media websites, Xinhua reported.
The hackers posted six pictures showing people holding hand-written messages, including one that read "I will not fight for Al Qaida in Syria", referring to the rebels fighting government troops in Syria.
The SEA told US troops that the Syrian army was their ally rather than an enemy in fighting the common enemy of terrorism.
US Marine Corps spokesman Eric Flanagan said no information was put at risk in the hacking. The recruiting site is on a commercial network rather than the Pentagon`s network.
The US government has decided to launch a limited strike on Syria over its the alleged use of chemical weapons Aug 21, which the US claims killed 1,429 people, including 426 children.
President Barack Obama, however, said he will seek Congressional authorisation before going ahead with the military action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Spellers from Texas, New York state battle to tie in US Spelling Bee
- Have given corruption free govt: Amit Shah on 2 years of Modi raj
- Raghuram Rajan's reappointment as RBI Governor should not be of media's interest: PM Modi
- Can a car headrest be a rescue tool in emergency?
- Peace is a two-way street, remove self-imposed obstacle of terrorism: PM Modi tells Pakistan