Syria faces ‘deepening humanitarian catastrophe’: Report
London: Syria and the regions surrounding the country are facing a deepening humanitarian catastrophe, a new report has said.
International Rescue Committee’s (IRC) Commission on Syrian Refugees said that the two-years-old uprising and civil war to oust President Bashar al-Assad has brought the Middle East into a new ‘human displacement tragedy’.
The report titled ‘Syria: A Regional Crisis’, said that ‘current assistance levels are drastically insufficient to address existing needs, let alone the barest requirements to respond to a lengthy humanitarian emergency and post-conflict recovery.’
The IRC’s report further said that over 600,000 Syrians have fled so far to overburdened neighbouring countries, and the UN anticipates the figure could soon exceed one million if the exodus continues at its current pace of about 3,000 refugees a day.
The report says Syrian civilians are struggling to survive in communities besieged by violence, chaos and destruction.
Supplies of food, water and electricity have sharply dwindled, sanitation in many areas has halted, increasing the threat of disease, yet medical care has become scarce, the report added.
The report also details horrific levels of sexual violence, describing rape as ‘a significant and disturbing feature of the Syrian civil war.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as Assam’s first BJP CM, PM Modi attends his swearing-in
- Desperate times, desperate measures! Parineeti Chopra's make-up ain’t gonna stop – See pic
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis