Syria helicopters carry out raids on Lebanon border
Damascus: Syrian military helicopters launched three raids on areas inside Lebanon near the border town of Arsal on Wednesday morning, witnesses and Lebanon`s official news agency said.
Helicopters carried out the raids in the largely unpopulated mountainous areas on the outskirts of Arsal near the border with Syria, witnesses told AFP.
It was unclear if there were any casualties in the raids, which Lebanon`s National News Agency said hit the areas of Khirbet Yunin and Wadi Ajram.
Elsewhere, two rockets fired from Syria landed in an uninhabited area near Nabi Sheet in eastern Lebanon, a security source said.
Syrian warplanes and helicopters regularly carry out air strikes and rocket attacks in the border area inside Lebanese territory.
In December, the Lebanese army used its air defence systems against Syrian helicopters after one such attack in the Arsal area.
That was believed to be the first time the Lebanese army had responded to a raid, although it had previously said it would do so.
Arsal`s residents support the revolt against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, and the town is hosting tens of thousands of refugees, including a recent influx driven out by a new offensive just across the border in the Qalamun region.
The Arsal area has long been home to smuggling routes that are used by opposition forces to move fighters and weapons back and forth between Lebanon and Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH