Syria: Monitors targeted for failing to halt unrest
Damascus: An Arab League peace mission to Syria has come under the scanner for failing to halt violence amid the rising death toll.
A peace mission head, Lieutenant General Mohammed Ahmed Mustapha al-Dabi described the Homs city where over 1,000 people are believed to have been killed, as "nothing frightening", although he admitted that "some places looked a bit of a mess".
Activists claimed that the group failed to visit a secret detention facility for prisoners, and added that the mission was losing credibility.
A Syrian academic, Radwan Ziadeh, said the mission does not have the "capacity or experience" to restore peace and order in the country.
"What`s needed is international intervention. We need a buffer zone along the Turkish borders where the situation is still escalating,” The Telegraph quoted Ziadeh, as saying.
His statement came after Syrian President Bashar –al Assad ordered the release of 755 political prisoners, who had been involved in anti-regime protests but "whose hands were not stained with Syrian blood".
The release of prisoners is one of the conditions of the peace deal agreed between Syria and the Arab League.
Activists, however, estimate that over tens of thousands of people, who have been detained since the beginning of the uprising, remain behind bars.
According to activists, about a third of the 5,000 protesters, civilians and opposition forces have died in Homs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in