Syria must hand over all chemical arms: US
Washington: The United States urged both Syria and Russia on Friday to ensure that the remaining stockpile of Syrian chemical weapons is handed over to UN inspectors for destruction.
"We still continue to believe that the Assad regime can and must begin to take the necessary steps, including the packaging and destruction of certain materials on the site to demonstrate it is determined to fulfill its obligation," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.
The UN`s Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), which is overseeing the elimination of Syria`s toxic arms, has said some 92 percent of the declared stockpile has been removed from the country or destroyed.
But UN Special Coordinator Sigrid Kaag said Thursday that dangerous conditions on the ground have made it impossible to access the remaining chemical weapons containers.
Psaki stressed, however, that the remaining eight percent was in territory held by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s regime.
"We need to continue to look for ways to get there regardless, that the regime has the responsibility to remove these weapons," Psaki told reporters.
Washington remains skeptical as to whether Assad has revealed the full extent of his country`s stockpile.
"We have never taken the Assad regime at its word... and we continue to approach this process with our eyes wide open," Psaki said.
There are concerns that the regime may have used chlorine gas in an April attack. Chlorine, which has may uses, was not among the chemicals which the OPCW had required Damascus to declare.
The chemical weapons issue was raised during a phone call between US Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, who struck a deal in September to rid Syria of its chemical weapons.
The two nations reached the agreement, which sets a June 30 deadline for the destruction of the whole stockpile, after a sarin gas attack in the Damascus suburbs in August killed hundreds of people.
"Let`s not forget that we`ve now removed 92 percent of the 100 percent of the declared" arms, Psaki said.
"That is a significant step forward. Does more work need to be done? Yes. But these are chemical weapons that the Assad regime will never again be able to use against their own people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?