Syria opposition hails UN resolution on chemical weapons
Damascus: A prominent figure of Syria`s domestic opposition Sunday hailed the UN Security Council resolution on chemical weapons, saying it prevented a US military strike that could spark a broader regional war.
The UN Security Council resolution would help remove the chemical weapons from the conflict in Syria and thus could save more lives, said Safwan Akkasheh, a prominent figure in the National Coordination Body, a group which advocates peaceful political transition in Syria.
This resolution would decrease the number of Syrian victims and it also “spares us a foreign military aggression”, and saved the region from a wide-scale regional war, he told Xinhua in an interview.
Regarding the UN calls for holding the international conference on Syria in Geneva in mid-November, Akkasheh commented that the international community has been convinced that there is no military solution to the current crisis in Syria.
"We think that there is no military solution to the crisis and our destiny is the political solution and the sole gate before the political solution is the Geneva conference... so all political and honourable Syrian parties must head toward this conference and work to make it successful," he added.
Amid risks of escalation in the Syrian conflict, the UN Security Council voted unanimously Friday to adopt a resolution aimed at ridding Syria of chemical weapons, and bringing a settlement to the 30-month-old Syrian crisis back within the UN framework.
Under the legally binding resolution, which is based on a deal between Washington and Moscow, the Syrian government will abandon its chemical weapons stockpile and give experts unfettered access to monitor its destruction by mid-2014 to avoid US military attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened