Syria peace talks `no earlier than December`: Russian report
Moscow: Planned peace talks in Geneva to find a solution to solve the conflict in Syria will not take place before December, a media report said on Tuesday.
"The conference will take place no earlier than December," a source close to today`s three-way talks in Geneva between UN envoy Lakhdar Brahimi, the United States and Russia told Russia`s ITAR-TASS news agency.
The news report provided no further details about progress in organising the Geneva peace conference.
Russia is represented at today`s meetings with Brahimi by Deputy Foreign Ministers Mikhail Bogdanov and Gennady Gatilov.
The so-called Geneva II peace talks on the 31-month crisis were proposed in May during a meeting in Moscow between Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and US Secretary of State John Kerry.
Lavrov had said at the time that he hoped the conference could take place by the end of May. Kerry said he though a June date was more realistic.
But the conference has since been repeatedly delayed because of deep disagreements about who should be represented at the talks.
Recently, the word in diplomatic circles had been that the conference would be held on November 23, although the United Nations never confirmed the date.
Some powerful rebel groups have also made Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s ouster a condition for their attendance in Geneva -- a stance rejected by both Damascus and Moscow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31