Syria protecting chemical arsenal: Israel official
Jerusalem: A senior Israeli defense official says Syria remains in control of its chemical weapons arsenals, even as the Israeli military considers a possible attack meant to prevent those arms and advanced Syrian missiles from falling into militant hands.
Defense official Amos Gilad says Israel is afraid Syria`s large chemical stocks could be seized by Lebanese militants, al Qaeda affiliated radicals or other unspecified "irresponsible elements" operating in Syria.
Gilad told Army Radio on Sunday, "Right now, they (the Syrians) are protecting these arsenals as best as they can."
But over the weekend, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said in a television interview, "I`ve ordered the Israeli military to prepare for a situation where we would have to weigh the possibility of carrying out an attack" against Syrian weapons arsenals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon