Syria protecting chemical arsenal: Israel official
Jerusalem: A senior Israeli defense official says Syria remains in control of its chemical weapons arsenals, even as the Israeli military considers a possible attack meant to prevent those arms and advanced Syrian missiles from falling into militant hands.
Defense official Amos Gilad says Israel is afraid Syria`s large chemical stocks could be seized by Lebanese militants, al Qaeda affiliated radicals or other unspecified "irresponsible elements" operating in Syria.
Gilad told Army Radio on Sunday, "Right now, they (the Syrians) are protecting these arsenals as best as they can."
But over the weekend, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said in a television interview, "I`ve ordered the Israeli military to prepare for a situation where we would have to weigh the possibility of carrying out an attack" against Syrian weapons arsenals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi