Syria protecting chemical arsenal: Israel official
Jerusalem: A senior Israeli defense official says Syria remains in control of its chemical weapons arsenals, even as the Israeli military considers a possible attack meant to prevent those arms and advanced Syrian missiles from falling into militant hands.
Defense official Amos Gilad says Israel is afraid Syria`s large chemical stocks could be seized by Lebanese militants, al Qaeda affiliated radicals or other unspecified "irresponsible elements" operating in Syria.
Gilad told Army Radio on Sunday, "Right now, they (the Syrians) are protecting these arsenals as best as they can."
But over the weekend, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said in a television interview, "I`ve ordered the Israeli military to prepare for a situation where we would have to weigh the possibility of carrying out an attack" against Syrian weapons arsenals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking! 16-year-old boy 'thrashed', stripped naked in Delhi; 4 arrested
- Image of this rare seabird spotted near Port Blair is truly mesmerising!
- Govt likely to table the 7th pay commission report before Cabinet next month; notification to come soon
- Bipasha Basu is living life queen-size with hubby Karan Singh Grover—Here's proof!
- PM Modi earns rare praise from 'sidelined' Advani for 'honest' government on second anniversary