Syria protests Israel`s approval for oil drilling
Damascus: Syria is protesting a recent decision by Israel to go ahead with a gas exploration project in the Golan Heights, a strategic plateau it captured from Syria in the 1967 war.
In letters sent to the UN Security Council and the UN secretary general on Thursday, the Syrian Foreign Ministry called the decision a "blatant violation" of UN resolutions and Syria`s sovereignty.
Israel captured the Golan Heights in the 1967 Mideast war and later annexed the strategic plateau in a move not recognised by the international community.
On February 21, Israel said it had issued a permit for the American-Israeli company Genie Energy to drill for oil on the plateau.
Syria alleges that Israel is trying to consecrate its occupation of Syrian territory and steal its resources.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed