Syria protests Israel`s approval for oil drilling
Damascus: Syria is protesting a recent decision by Israel to go ahead with a gas exploration project in the Golan Heights, a strategic plateau it captured from Syria in the 1967 war.
In letters sent to the UN Security Council and the UN secretary general on Thursday, the Syrian Foreign Ministry called the decision a "blatant violation" of UN resolutions and Syria`s sovereignty.
Israel captured the Golan Heights in the 1967 Mideast war and later annexed the strategic plateau in a move not recognised by the international community.
On February 21, Israel said it had issued a permit for the American-Israeli company Genie Energy to drill for oil on the plateau.
Syria alleges that Israel is trying to consecrate its occupation of Syrian territory and steal its resources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price