Syria protests Israel`s approval for oil drilling
Damascus: Syria is protesting a recent decision by Israel to go ahead with a gas exploration project in the Golan Heights, a strategic plateau it captured from Syria in the 1967 war.
In letters sent to the UN Security Council and the UN secretary general on Thursday, the Syrian Foreign Ministry called the decision a "blatant violation" of UN resolutions and Syria`s sovereignty.
Israel captured the Golan Heights in the 1967 Mideast war and later annexed the strategic plateau in a move not recognised by the international community.
On February 21, Israel said it had issued a permit for the American-Israeli company Genie Energy to drill for oil on the plateau.
Syria alleges that Israel is trying to consecrate its occupation of Syrian territory and steal its resources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?