Syria pulls back tanks from Turkish border: Turkey
Beirut: A Turkish official says Syria has pulled tanks and other military equipment away from its border with Turkey following deadly cross-border shelling this week.
The Foreign Ministry official in Ankara said on Friday that the Syrian pullback was an effort to remove any "perception of threat." The official spoke on condition of anonymity in line with government regulations.
Syrian officials were not available for comment.
A Syrian shell struck a Turkish border town Wednesday and killed five civilians. Turkey retaliated with artillery strikes and warned Syria that it would not tolerate such a spillover again.
Syrian President Bashar Assad has tried to defuse the crisis with Turkey, the worst since an uprising against him erupted 18 months ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her