Syria rebel chief vows to fight till end against Assad’s ‘criminal’ regime
London: The chief of Syria’s main, West-backed rebel group has vowed to continue fighting until the end of what he termed as the ‘criminal regime’, on the second anniversary of the uprising against President Bashar Al-Assad.
Calling on Syrian soldiers to join the rebels in a fight for ‘freedom and democracy’, the head of the Supreme Military Council General Salim Idris said that his Free Syrian Army fighters will not give up on the fight against Assad’s regime, the Daily Star reports.
Admitting the might of the government, that has unlimited planes, tanks and missiles at its disposal, Idris however said that the group dreams of a Syria where every citizen can live in peace and liberty, adding that their will to fight is very strong and they will not stop until they have ended the ‘criminal’ regime.
Idris studied in Germany and taught electronics at a Syrian military college before defecting to the rebel side in July 2012, the report added. The revolt against Assad`s authoritarian rule began in March 2011 with protests in the southern city of Daraa, after troops arrested teenagers who scrawled anti-regime graffiti on a wall, and has since morphed into a civil war with an estimated 70,000 people killed, according to the UN.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!