Syria rebel infighting forces over 60,000 to flee homes: Monitoring group
Beirut: Fighting between al Qaeda`s Syria branch and a splinter group in eastern Syria has forced more than 60,000 people to flee their homes, emptied villages and killed scores of fighters, a monitoring group said.
Infighting among rebels opposed to President Bashar al-Assad has undermined the three-year-old uprising against his rule and killed thousands of people since the start of the year.
The conflict has pitted hardline Islamists against more moderate insurgents, but disputes over turf and resources have also turned radical factions against one another, most recently in the oil-producing eastern province of Deir al-Zor.
The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said late on Saturday that al Qaeda`s Syrian wing, the Nusra Front, had taken over control of the town of Abreeha from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), a former al Qaeda affiliate formally disowned by the group this year.
At least 62 fighters had been killed in around four days of clashes in the area, which have emptied Abreeha and the towns of al-Busayrah and al-Zir, whose populations total over 60,000, the Observatory said.
The Observatory, an anti-Assad group which monitors violence in Syria through a network of sources, said Islamist fighters had burned houses a young girl had been killed by mortar fire during the fighting.
ISIL and the Nusra Front have clashed repeatedly over oilfields and strategic positions in Deir al-Zor, a desert province bordering Iraq. ISIL is a rebranding of al Qaeda in Iraq and has fallen out with the global organisation over its role in Syria.
Al Qaeda`s global leader Ayman al-Zawhri has said ISIL`s entry into Syria`s civil war caused a "political disaster" for Islamist militants there and urged the group to redouble its efforts in Iraq instead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'