Syria rebels blow up Aleppo hotel turned Army base
Aleppo: Syrian rebels blew up a luxury hotel turned army base in the historic heart of Aleppo on Thursday after tunnelling under the front line that divides the northern city.
State television gave no word on any casualties from the attack that levelled the famed Carlton Citadel Hotel just across the road from the city`s UNESCO-listed Citadel.
But the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said there were dead and wounded among government troops occupying the building.
"The explosion that was heard in Aleppo`s Old City was caused by explosives planted by Islamist battalions in a tunnel beneath the Carlton hotel, which was occupied by regime troops," the Britain-based monitoring group said.
State television said the hotel, which opened not long before the uprising erupted in March 2011 in a renovated 19th century hospital building, was completely flattened.
"Terrorists targeted the historic Carlton hotel in the Old City with a big explosion, destroying it completely and destroying several historic buildings nearby," the broadcaster said.
It was not the first time that rebel sappers had tried to blow up the hotel, whose location and ultra-modern facilities made it one of the city`s most sought after before the war.
They carried out a similar attempt in February but the building escaped major damage.
A rebel offensive in July 2012 in which they seized large swathes of Aleppo left the historic Citadel and nearby hotels which had once thronged with foreign tourists on the front line of the deadly conflict.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?