Syria: Rebels try to capture key areas outside Aleppo
Beirut: As the battle between the Syrian government and rebels entered the fourth day, rebel fighters used tanks that were captured by them from the Syrian government forces and tried to take over a key road that leads to the Turkish border.
The Syrian troops had captured an Army outpost outside Aleppo on Monday. They reportedly used the captured Army’s tanks and ammunitions to shell an air base outside Azaz. Since last week, the rebels have been attempting to take control of number of key border crossings.
As the fighting continues, the Syrian forces mounted new ground attacks against rebel-controlled neighbourhoods in Aleppo. However, activists said that the attacks have failed to extricate the opposition from their strongholds.
With battles raging in several areas, hospitals and clinics in the city are said to be filling up with casualties.
Britain`s Foreign Office on Monday announced that Syria`s most senior diplomat in London has defected. Khaled al-Ayoubi, the charge d`affaires in London, had told officials that he wasn`t willing to represent the regime any longer.
Caught in the cross-fire, thousands of refugees have fled to the Turkish side adding to a growing humanitarian crisis in the region.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach