Syria: Rebels try to capture key areas outside Aleppo
Beirut: As the battle between the Syrian government and rebels entered the fourth day, rebel fighters used tanks that were captured by them from the Syrian government forces and tried to take over a key road that leads to the Turkish border.
The Syrian troops had captured an Army outpost outside Aleppo on Monday. They reportedly used the captured Army’s tanks and ammunitions to shell an air base outside Azaz. Since last week, the rebels have been attempting to take control of number of key border crossings.
As the fighting continues, the Syrian forces mounted new ground attacks against rebel-controlled neighbourhoods in Aleppo. However, activists said that the attacks have failed to extricate the opposition from their strongholds.
With battles raging in several areas, hospitals and clinics in the city are said to be filling up with casualties.
Britain`s Foreign Office on Monday announced that Syria`s most senior diplomat in London has defected. Khaled al-Ayoubi, the charge d`affaires in London, had told officials that he wasn`t willing to represent the regime any longer.
Caught in the cross-fire, thousands of refugees have fled to the Turkish side adding to a growing humanitarian crisis in the region.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing