Syria regime `wilfully` killing civilians from air: HRW
Damascus: The Damascus regime has "wilfully" killed thousands of civilians in air strikes that amount to war crimes, Human Rights Watch said on Thursday, as rebels lobbied the major powers for weapons.
G8 foreign ministers gathered for a second day of talks in London after several of them met opposition leaders to discuss their calls for arms to tilt the balance in their fight to oust President Bashar al-Assad.
Overshadowing the talks was a statement yesterday by the head of the jihadist rebel Al-Nusra Front pledging allegiance to Al-Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri, which has increased concerns about weapons falling into the wrong hands.
Meanwhile, details emerged of fierce fighting for two towns in southern Syria yesterday in which monitors said at least 57 people were killed, among them six children.
Human Rights Watch said bakeries and hospitals were among the civilian targets that been hit by air strikes as the regime resorts to an increasingly indiscriminate use of its air power.
"Individuals who commit serious violations of the laws of war wilfully -- that is intentionally or recklessly -- are responsible for war crimes," the New York-based watchdog said in a report titled "Death from the Skies."
"Syrian government air strikes that have deliberately or indiscriminately killed civilians appear to be part of systematic and widespread attacks against the civilian population that Human Rights Watch previously found amount to crimes against humanity," it added.
Basing its findings on investigations in rebel-held areas of three provinces, the New York-based group documented air strikes on four bakeries and two hospitals, along with other civilian targets.
One hospital in the northern city of Aleppo, the Dar al-Shifa, had suffered at least four attacks alone.
"Air strikes have killed more than 4,300 civilians across Syria since July 2012," HRW said.
Fifty civilians were among 179 people killed in violence on Wednesday, the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The biggest loss of life was in the southern province of Daraa, where rebels have made gains along the Jordanian border in recent weeks.
"At least six children, seven women, 16 rebel fighters, 16 other unidentified men and 12 army troops were killed on Wednesday, in fighting, shelling and summary executions waged after the army launched an assault on Al-Sanamein and Ghabagheb," the Observatory said.
In London, US Secretary of State John Kerry joined several Western counterparts yesterday for talks with opposition leaders about calls for weapons to break the deadlock in an increasingly deadly conflict now in its third year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Rs 7L for Sikh girl, Rs 5L for a Brahmin: `Love jihad` WhatsApp message goes viral in Gujarat
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- ICC World T20: Pakistan announce 15-man squad; Shahid Afridi to lead, Ahmed Shehzad dropped