Syria releases names of killed foreign fighters
Damascus: A pro-government Syrian daily Tuesday published the names of 142 fighters from foreign countries killed in Syria over the past month, Xinhua reported.
The Al-Watan daily said the government has sent the list to the UN Security Council.
The list includes 47 Saudis, 24 Libyans, 10 Tunisians, nine Egyptians, six Qataris, five Lebanese, 11 Afghans, five Turks, three Chechens and two each from Azerbaijan and Chad.
They were killed in the provinces of Aleppo, Homs, Idlib, Deir al-Zour and Hasaka.
The daily said Western-backed rebels have tried several times to attack vital and security centres in the capital Damascus in the hope of declaring a coup. But so far such attempts have been countered by government forces.
Earlier, Syrian Information Minister Omran al-Zoebi said government troops were waging a war with well-armed groups of Al Qaeda militants.
The regime of President Bashar al-Assad has been locked in a bloody conflict with anti-government forces since March 2011. According to UN estimates, at least 30,000 people have been killed since the violence began.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters