Syria releases names of killed foreign fighters
Damascus: A pro-government Syrian daily Tuesday published the names of 142 fighters from foreign countries killed in Syria over the past month, Xinhua reported.
The Al-Watan daily said the government has sent the list to the UN Security Council.
The list includes 47 Saudis, 24 Libyans, 10 Tunisians, nine Egyptians, six Qataris, five Lebanese, 11 Afghans, five Turks, three Chechens and two each from Azerbaijan and Chad.
They were killed in the provinces of Aleppo, Homs, Idlib, Deir al-Zour and Hasaka.
The daily said Western-backed rebels have tried several times to attack vital and security centres in the capital Damascus in the hope of declaring a coup. But so far such attempts have been countered by government forces.
Earlier, Syrian Information Minister Omran al-Zoebi said government troops were waging a war with well-armed groups of Al Qaeda militants.
The regime of President Bashar al-Assad has been locked in a bloody conflict with anti-government forces since March 2011. According to UN estimates, at least 30,000 people have been killed since the violence began.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!