Syria respects US warnings on chemical arms
Prague: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Monday made it clear that US totally oppose the use of chemical arms by the Syrian government.
In response to this a Syrian official insisted that it will nevr use any chemical weapon against its own people.
Earlier, talking to reporters Clinton had plainly stated that usage of chemical weapons is a ‘red line’ for America. She added that US may take action if it is prompted by the Assad regime.
"I`m not going to telegraph in any specifics what we would do in the event of credible evidence that the Assad regime has resorted to using chemical weapons against their own people. But suffice it to say, we are certainly planning to take action if that eventuality were to occur", Clinton said as per BBC reports.
Though she did not talk about any current Syrian program but speculations are that Syria possess an arsenal of chemical arms.
America’s concern regarding Syrian weapons is for the safeguardind their allies Turkey and Israel, and Obama singled out the threat posed by the unconventional weapons earlier this year as a potential cause for deeper U.S. involvement in Syria`s civil war. Up to now, the United States has opposed military intervention or providing arms support to Syria`s rebels for fear of further militarizing a conflict that activists say has killed more than 40,000 people since March 2011.
Clinton said that while the actions of President Bashar Assad`s government have been deplorable, chemical weapons would bring them to a new level.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack