Syria says UK doctor`s body to be sent to Beirut
Damascus: The body of a British doctor whose death in a Syrian jail was announced this week will be transported to Britain`s embassy in Beirut, Syria`s deputy foreign minister on Thursday said.
"At the family`s request, the Syrian authorities and International Committee of the Red Cross are carrying out a final autopsy to find out the causes of Abbas Khan`s death," Faisal Muqdad said.
"Then his body will be transferred to Lebanon, by tomorrow (Friday) at the latest," he said, adding that the body will be "handed over to the British embassy in Beirut".
Syria`s regime was accused by London of murdering the doctor in prison. But the authorities yesterday said Khan was found "hanging" in his cell, where he was being held for "unauthorised activities", and that he had committed suicide.
Muqdad said that President Bashar al-Assad had decided to grant Khan an amnesty and hand him over to his mother and British MP George Galloway at a press conference in Damascus.
"We are very sad ... I was arranging for the release of Doctor Khan on the 20th or the 21st. Suddenly I receive a telephone call that the man is dead," he said.
"Many questions come: How come he killed himself when he was about to be released. He knew that he was about to be released," said Muqdad.
The official dismissed charges of torture. "If we wanted to do any harm to him, we could have done it before ... After one mouth, two months ... We did our best to preserve him and he was treated very well in his prison." Khan, a volunteer with London-based charity Human Aid UK, had travelled to Aleppo in northern Syria last year to help civilians but was captured by the regime.
His family on Tuesday said they were "shocked and devastated" by the news of his death. The British government has held Damascus responsible for the death of the 32-year-old orthopaedic surgeon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan