Syria signs `big contracts` with Iran: SANA
Damascus: Syria has signed major contracts with its main regional ally Iran to provide the war-torn country with food and medical supplies, state media reported on Tuesday.
The regime of President Bashar al-Assad is suffering an unprecedented financial crisis as a result of a 30-month conflict that has killed more than 110,000 people.
"The government signed big contracts with Iran, to provide the Syrian market with all it needs in terms of food, medical and other supplies," said SANA, the official Syrian news agency.
A government source told AFP "the contracts signed in the past week are aimed at flooding the Syrian markets with all kinds of goods so people don`t suffer from shortages".
Iran opened two credit lines for Syria worth USD 4 billion in May, and another in July for USD 3.6 billion.
Tehran`s financial support for President Assad comes as Syria struggles with stifling international sanctions aimed against his embattled regime.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know