Syria signs `big contracts` with Iran: SANA
Damascus: Syria has signed major contracts with its main regional ally Iran to provide the war-torn country with food and medical supplies, state media reported on Tuesday.
The regime of President Bashar al-Assad is suffering an unprecedented financial crisis as a result of a 30-month conflict that has killed more than 110,000 people.
"The government signed big contracts with Iran, to provide the Syrian market with all it needs in terms of food, medical and other supplies," said SANA, the official Syrian news agency.
A government source told AFP "the contracts signed in the past week are aimed at flooding the Syrian markets with all kinds of goods so people don`t suffer from shortages".
Iran opened two credit lines for Syria worth USD 4 billion in May, and another in July for USD 3.6 billion.
Tehran`s financial support for President Assad comes as Syria struggles with stifling international sanctions aimed against his embattled regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!