Syria: Survivors recount horror of Houla massacre
Damascus: Survivors of Houla massacre in Syria recounted their shock and fear as troops loyal to the ruling regime entered into their homes forcibly and killed their families.
According to The BBC, several witnesses said they hid or acted dead to survive.
Many survivors claimed that the Army and the Shabiha Militia carried out the atrocities. The regime has, however, insisted that ``armed terrorists`` had carried out the violent act.
"We were in the house, they went in, the shabiha and security, they went in with Kalashnikovs and automatic rifles," a survivor, Rasha Abdul Razaq, said.
UN observers, who visited Taldou village where the massacre happened, said they had found evidence of shelling by government forces.
They also confirmed that the victims, many of whom were children, had been killed in close-range gunfire or knife attacks.
Meanwhile, UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan has arrived in Damascus for talks on implementing his peace plan.
He said it was a critical moment, adding that he would be having ``serious and frank`` discussions with Assad trying to persuade him to take ``bold steps`` to prove he was serious about peace.
The UK, France and the US have raised diplomatic pressure on the Assad Government against the killings.
At least 10,000 people have died since protests against the Assad regime broke out in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy