Syria: Survivors recount horror of Houla massacre
Damascus: Survivors of Houla massacre in Syria recounted their shock and fear as troops loyal to the ruling regime entered into their homes forcibly and killed their families.
According to The BBC, several witnesses said they hid or acted dead to survive.
Many survivors claimed that the Army and the Shabiha Militia carried out the atrocities. The regime has, however, insisted that ``armed terrorists`` had carried out the violent act.
"We were in the house, they went in, the shabiha and security, they went in with Kalashnikovs and automatic rifles," a survivor, Rasha Abdul Razaq, said.
UN observers, who visited Taldou village where the massacre happened, said they had found evidence of shelling by government forces.
They also confirmed that the victims, many of whom were children, had been killed in close-range gunfire or knife attacks.
Meanwhile, UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan has arrived in Damascus for talks on implementing his peace plan.
He said it was a critical moment, adding that he would be having ``serious and frank`` discussions with Assad trying to persuade him to take ``bold steps`` to prove he was serious about peace.
The UK, France and the US have raised diplomatic pressure on the Assad Government against the killings.
At least 10,000 people have died since protests against the Assad regime broke out in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore