Syria to attack US bases if attacked: Minister
Beirut: The Syrian government will attack US interests in the Middle East in the event of a military strike on the country, Syria`s Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad said.
"Any act of aggression towards Syria is aggression towards the Arab world and the region," Mekdad told Lebanon`s al-Manar TV channel.
The TV network is owned by the Lebanese Shia group Hezbollah, an ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
"Our response will be to attack American interests," said Mekdad, considered highly influential in the Assad government.
Mekdad also warned that possible US intervention would deepen "hatred for the Americans" and destabilise the whole of Middle East.
Any attack against Syria would be "support for Al Qaeda and its affiliates, whether Jabat al-Nusra or the State of Islam in Syria and Iraq".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees