Syria to attack US bases if attacked: Minister
Beirut: The Syrian government will attack US interests in the Middle East in the event of a military strike on the country, Syria`s Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad said.
"Any act of aggression towards Syria is aggression towards the Arab world and the region," Mekdad told Lebanon`s al-Manar TV channel.
The TV network is owned by the Lebanese Shia group Hezbollah, an ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
"Our response will be to attack American interests," said Mekdad, considered highly influential in the Assad government.
Mekdad also warned that possible US intervention would deepen "hatred for the Americans" and destabilise the whole of Middle East.
Any attack against Syria would be "support for Al Qaeda and its affiliates, whether Jabat al-Nusra or the State of Islam in Syria and Iraq".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre