Syria tortures detained protesters: Rights group
Beirut: A leading international rights group says Syrian security and intelligence agencies have detained and tortured hundreds of protesters since anti-regime rallies engulfed Syria last month.
Human Rights Watch urged Syrian authorities on Friday to immediately stop the use of torture and free all demonstrators, activists, and journalists in custody.
The New York-based HRW says hundreds have been arbitrarily detained and subjected to "torture and ill-treatment." It didn`t provide a precise number.
Protests across Syria have steadily increased, with tens of thousands calling for sweeping political reforms to President Bashar Assad`s authoritarian regime. More than 200 people have been killed during the government crackdown on protesters, according to Syria`s main pro-democracy group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof