Syria violence: Fight rages in Damascus, Aleppo
Ankara: Freh clashes between Syrian rebels and regime forces broke out as both scrambled to attain control over a border crossing into Turkey, Turkish media reported Wednesday.
Rebels were trying to get hold of a customs building at the Tal Abyad border gate, media reports said.
Dogan news agency video showed smoke rising from a small explosion at the top of the four-story customs building.
Fierce clashes broke out near the border crossing of Tal Abyad on Tuesday between Syrian rebels and regime forces and the residents were instructed to evacuate the area.
Three people in Turkey were hit by stray bullets. Also, Turkish schools near the border were closed and residents were urged to stay away.
The violence along the border with Turkey underlines the regional danger as the Syrian civil war extends into the neighbouring nations.
The rebels control several other border crossings into Turkey but it is believed to be the first time they have tried to take the border area in the northern Raqqa province.
Turkey is a strong supporter of the rebels trying to overthrow President Bashar Assad.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC