Syria violence: Fight rages in Damascus, Aleppo
Ankara: Freh clashes between Syrian rebels and regime forces broke out as both scrambled to attain control over a border crossing into Turkey, Turkish media reported Wednesday.
Rebels were trying to get hold of a customs building at the Tal Abyad border gate, media reports said.
Dogan news agency video showed smoke rising from a small explosion at the top of the four-story customs building.
Fierce clashes broke out near the border crossing of Tal Abyad on Tuesday between Syrian rebels and regime forces and the residents were instructed to evacuate the area.
Three people in Turkey were hit by stray bullets. Also, Turkish schools near the border were closed and residents were urged to stay away.
The violence along the border with Turkey underlines the regional danger as the Syrian civil war extends into the neighbouring nations.
The rebels control several other border crossings into Turkey but it is believed to be the first time they have tried to take the border area in the northern Raqqa province.
Turkey is a strong supporter of the rebels trying to overthrow President Bashar Assad.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar