Syria violence: Fight rages in Damascus, Aleppo
Ankara: Freh clashes between Syrian rebels and regime forces broke out as both scrambled to attain control over a border crossing into Turkey, Turkish media reported Wednesday.
Rebels were trying to get hold of a customs building at the Tal Abyad border gate, media reports said.
Dogan news agency video showed smoke rising from a small explosion at the top of the four-story customs building.
Fierce clashes broke out near the border crossing of Tal Abyad on Tuesday between Syrian rebels and regime forces and the residents were instructed to evacuate the area.
Three people in Turkey were hit by stray bullets. Also, Turkish schools near the border were closed and residents were urged to stay away.
The violence along the border with Turkey underlines the regional danger as the Syrian civil war extends into the neighbouring nations.
The rebels control several other border crossings into Turkey but it is believed to be the first time they have tried to take the border area in the northern Raqqa province.
Turkey is a strong supporter of the rebels trying to overthrow President Bashar Assad.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say