Syria violence: Fight rages in Damascus, Aleppo
Ankara: Freh clashes between Syrian rebels and regime forces broke out as both scrambled to attain control over a border crossing into Turkey, Turkish media reported Wednesday.
Rebels were trying to get hold of a customs building at the Tal Abyad border gate, media reports said.
Dogan news agency video showed smoke rising from a small explosion at the top of the four-story customs building.
Fierce clashes broke out near the border crossing of Tal Abyad on Tuesday between Syrian rebels and regime forces and the residents were instructed to evacuate the area.
Three people in Turkey were hit by stray bullets. Also, Turkish schools near the border were closed and residents were urged to stay away.
The violence along the border with Turkey underlines the regional danger as the Syrian civil war extends into the neighbouring nations.
The rebels control several other border crossings into Turkey but it is believed to be the first time they have tried to take the border area in the northern Raqqa province.
Turkey is a strong supporter of the rebels trying to overthrow President Bashar Assad.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing