Syria: Violence in Homs; toll rises to 80
Beirut: The Syrian Army on Sunday intensified its bombing of the central city of Homs. This came on a day when at least 10 people were killed across Syria, according to the BBC.
Homs has come under heavy attack in the recent days and activists have warned that civilians are trapped without access to essential supplies like food and medicines.
The weekend death toll, including today’s figure, has reached nearly 80, a watchdog said.
A civilian was killed in the rebel stronghold of Khalidiyeh, which, like other parts of the central city, was "being shelled and shot at by regime forces who have been trying to enter these districts for several days," said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Amateur video posted on YouTube by anti-regime activists in the surrounded Homs district of Jourat al-Shiah showed widespread destruction, deserted streets and parts of a building shelled and on fire.
The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights has said over 1,000 families in Homs need to be evacuated, as per the BBC.
Meanwhile, activists have also criticised the UN observer mission in Syria for deciding to suspend its activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened