Syria violence kills at least 23: NGO
Beirut: Clashes across Syria on Thursday killed at
least 23 people, including 14 civilians, as Arab leaders
gathered for a summit in Baghdad in a renewed push to end the
Five civilians, including a woman and a child, died as
regime forces stormed villages near the town of Maaret
al-Numan, in northwestern Idlib province, which has been under
a relentless army assault since the start of the month, the
Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said. Three soldiers also
Six other civilians as well as two regime forces and an
armed rebel died in fighting in central Homs province.
Three people died in nearby Hama province along with two
soldiers who were killed when their vehicle came under attack
by armed rebels, the Britain-based group added.
It said that an army colonel was assassinated by armed men
in the northern city of Aleppo, where an officer was also
killed on Wednesday.
The state news agency SANA said the two officers were
killed by an "armed terrorist group" today as they were
heading to work.
"Four terrorists in a car killed officers Abdel Karim Raie
and Fouad Shaaban as they were heading to work," the agency
Clashes were also taking place near the town of Zabadani,
in Damascus province.
A loud blast was reported in Harasta, also in Damascus
province, and plumes of smoke could be seen rising near an
army checkpoint, the Observatory said.
In the village of Dael, in southern Daraa province, fierce
clashes were reported between regime forces and rebel troops.
"Eight soldiers have been wounded and a military armoured
vehicle was hit," the Observatory said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi