Syria wants to join chemical weapons ban treaty: Walid al-Muallem
Moscow: Syria wants to join the chemical weapons ban treaty and is ready to give other countries and the United Nations access to its arsenal, Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem said on Tuesday.
"We are ready to state where the chemical weapons are, to halt production of chemical weapons and show these installations to representatives of Russia, other countries and the UN," Muallem said in a statement sent to Russia`s Interfax news agency.
"We want to join the chemical weapons ban treaty. We will respect our commitments in relation to the treaty, including providing information on these weapons."
The statement followed Russia`s surprise proposal to secure Syria`s chemical weapons stockpile.
"Our backing of the Russian initiative shows our willingness to give up possession of all chemical weapons," added Muallem at the the end of a two-day visit to Moscow.
Moscow has called on Washington to rule out military action against Syria to allow its plan to go ahead, saying it would be difficult to constrain Syria to disarm while under threat of such action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray