Syria war also targeting allies: Assad
Moscow: The civil war raging in Syria is targeting not only Damascus but the entire "axis of resistance" formed with its allies, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has said.
Syria, Iran, its closest ally in the region, as well as the Lebanese Shia movement Hezbollah and Hamas, the de facto rulers of the Gaza Strip, refer to themselves as an "axis of resistance" in their common opposition to Israel.
"The ongoing war is targeting the entire axis of resistance, not just Syria," the Syrian SANA news agency quoted Assad as saying at a meeting with Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi.
The Syrian conflict has claimed up to 20,000 lives, according to estimates by various groups. The authorities say around 8,000 have been killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured