Syria war also targeting allies: Assad
Moscow: The civil war raging in Syria is targeting not only Damascus but the entire "axis of resistance" formed with its allies, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has said.
Syria, Iran, its closest ally in the region, as well as the Lebanese Shia movement Hezbollah and Hamas, the de facto rulers of the Gaza Strip, refer to themselves as an "axis of resistance" in their common opposition to Israel.
"The ongoing war is targeting the entire axis of resistance, not just Syria," the Syrian SANA news agency quoted Assad as saying at a meeting with Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi.
The Syrian conflict has claimed up to 20,000 lives, according to estimates by various groups. The authorities say around 8,000 have been killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand