Syria war crimes evidence implicates Assad: UN
Geneva: Evidence has been uncovered in Syria that implicates President Bashar al-Assad and members of his entourage, in war crimes and crimes against humanity, UN human rights chief Navi Pillay said on Monday.
A UN commission of inquiry into human rights violations in Syria "has produced massive evidence ... (of) very serious crimes, war crimes, crimes against humanity," she said, adding that "the evidence indicates responsibility at the highest level of government, including the head of state."
The commission, tasked with probing rights violations in Syria since shortly after the conflict erupted in March 2011, has repeatedly accused the Syrian regime of crimes against humanity and war crimes.
It has said the rebels fighting Assad`s regime are also guilty of war crimes.
But the four-member team, headed by Brazilian Paulo Sergio Pinheiro and including former war crimes prosecutor Carla del Ponte, has never named names nor pointed directly at Assad.
The investigators -- who without access to Syria have relied on more than 2,000 interviews in the surrounding region or by phone or Skype for their reports -- have put together a long list of suspected perpetrators.
The names "remain sealed until I am requested to furnish them to credible investigation," Pillay told reporters in Geneva, adding that "it could be a national investigation or international investigation."
She meanwhile reiterated her call for the case to be handed over to the International Criminal Court in the Hague to ensure accountability.
"The scale of viciousness of the abuses being perpetrated by elements on both sides almost defies belief," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister