Syria warned of Turkey’s ‘wrath’ over jet downing
Ankara (Turkey): In what seems to be his rudest reaction till date, Turkish PM Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday lashed out at Syria over downing of its fighter jet, saying Turkey’s “wrath is as much violent and crushing."
Erdogan also hinted at a possible military action in future if any Syrian element approached Turkish border.
"The rules of engagement of the Turkish Armed Forces have changed," Erdogan said. "Any military element that approaches the Turkish border from Syria by posing a security risk and danger will be regarded as a threat and treated as a military target."
Responding to Syria, in his fiercest tone so far, Erdogan said, "Everybody should know that Turkey`s wrath is just as strong and devastating as its friendship is valuable."
"Our rational response should not be perceived as weakness, our mild manners do not mean we are a tame lamb," he said.
"No one should be deceived by our cold blooded stance," Erdogan said.
Relation between Turkey and Syria, once allies, have already been on the rocks with Assad dismissing Erdogan’s advice of allowing democratic reforms.
Turkey has repeatedly called on Syrian President Bashar Assad to step down as 33,000 Syrians have sought refuge in Turkey, fleeing a government crackdown on a popular uprising.
Tensions soared since last Friday when a Turkish fighter jet Phantom 4 was shot down by Syria.
Syria insists that the Turkish plane violated its air space on Friday. But Turkey says that although the unarmed RF-4E reconnaissance jet had unintentionally strayed into Syria`s air space, it was inside international airspace when it was brought down.
Erdogan said Syria shot down the unarmed plane in international airspace in a `deliberate` and `hostile` act and without warning. He said border violations in the region were not uncommon. He said Syrian helicopters violated Turkish airspace five times recently, without Turkish response.
The head of the NATO military alliance called the downing of the jet unacceptable today, shortly after Turkey briefed NATO`s North Atlantic Council in discussions held under Article 4 of NATO`s founding treaty, which allows a NATO member to request consultations if its security has been threatened.
NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said the alliance condemns it "in the strongest terms," and expressed solidarity with Turkey, but made no mention of retaliatory action.
He said, "We will continue to be a burning torment for circles who have adopted a hostile attitude toward Turkey."
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes