Syria warplanes hit Yabrud near Damascus: Activists
Beirut: Syrian warplanes carried out 20 air strikes against the strategic rebel-held Yabrud area near Damascus Thursday, as the army escalated a campaign there, activists and a monitoring group said.
Troops meanwhile captured Jarajir, a village near Yabrud and on the Lebanese border, a military source told AFP. He denied the army had launched a new offensive, however, saying it was carrying out "routine" operations.
Amateur video distributed by activists showed plumes of black smoke rising above Yabrud`s houses and yellow hills, as a fighter jet soars through a clear blue sky.
The army last year launched a wide-scale operation to retake a string of towns in the area, seizing towns along the highway between Damascus and central Homs.
An activist who gave his name as Amer told AFP via the Internet that "the (army`s) campaign to take Yabrud has started. The air strikes are accompanied by an attempted ground offensive."
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based group relying on a network of sources inside Syria, confirmed the escalation, saying Yabrud was hit by 20 air strikes today.
Located in the Qalamoun mountains, Yabrud lies near the Lebanese border and on the Damascus highway to the country`s third largest city Homs, which has suffered some of Syria`s worst fighting in the past three years.
Despite being under rebel control, Yabrud was spared much of the violence engulfing most other opposition areas. Activists had for months considered it a haven for non-violent opposition to the regime.
But recently, the jihadist Al-Nusra Front moved into Yabrud as the loyalist army and its Lebanese Shiite ally Hezbollah stepped up fighting in other areas of the Qalamoun mountains.
According to the Observatory`s Rami Abdel Rahman, troops and Hezbollah have been stepping up pressure on Yabrud for several weeks, frequently shelling the town, which is home to a mixed Muslim and Christian population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire