Syria will be better off without Assad: US
Washington: Reiterating that Syrian
President Bashar al-Assad has lost his legitimacy to rule, the
White House has said that Syria will be better off without
"We believe that a transition needs to take place in
Syria and that Syria will be better off without President
Assad. And we support those who are seeking a peaceful
transition in Syria," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney
Carney that President Assad`s opportunity to lead the
transition has passed.
"We support those in Syria who are seeking a peaceful
transition to a more democratic and brighter future in Syria,"
The Administration, he said, has acted aggressively to isolate the Syrian government and figures within it through financial measures.
"We continue to ratchet up the pressure on the Syrian
regime, on the Assad regime with our international partners,
as I said yesterday. I don`t want to get ahead of anything
else right now," he said.
The State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said
the focus is on increasing the chorus of condemnation
internationally against him and taking firm action to increase
"That’s why we issued more sanctions yesterday.
“Our focus is on working with our European partners, our
other partners around the world, including in his
neighborhood, and particularly encouraging those who are still
trading with Syria, particularly in the oil and gas sector .
Russia is still sending arms to Syria to stop so that the
pinch will be felt and none of the revenue from this can go to
fueling this violence," she said.
While it is for the Syrian people to take a decision on
their leader, Nuland said America`s focus is on doing what it
can to increase the international pressure on him, to support
those who want a democratic future for Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Ex-Haryana speaker SS Kadian jailed for 7 years in graft case
- RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan welcomes appointment of Urjit Patel as his successor
- French court suspends burkini ban after challenge
- Flipkart rejigs top order to 'simplify' organisation
- PM Modi announces task force to prepare action plan for next three Olympic Games