Syria will be better off without Assad: US
Washington: Reiterating that Syrian
President Bashar al-Assad has lost his legitimacy to rule, the
White House has said that Syria will be better off without
"We believe that a transition needs to take place in
Syria and that Syria will be better off without President
Assad. And we support those who are seeking a peaceful
transition in Syria," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney
Carney that President Assad`s opportunity to lead the
transition has passed.
"We support those in Syria who are seeking a peaceful
transition to a more democratic and brighter future in Syria,"
The Administration, he said, has acted aggressively to isolate the Syrian government and figures within it through financial measures.
"We continue to ratchet up the pressure on the Syrian
regime, on the Assad regime with our international partners,
as I said yesterday. I don`t want to get ahead of anything
else right now," he said.
The State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said
the focus is on increasing the chorus of condemnation
internationally against him and taking firm action to increase
"That’s why we issued more sanctions yesterday.
“Our focus is on working with our European partners, our
other partners around the world, including in his
neighborhood, and particularly encouraging those who are still
trading with Syria, particularly in the oil and gas sector .
Russia is still sending arms to Syria to stop so that the
pinch will be felt and none of the revenue from this can go to
fueling this violence," she said.
While it is for the Syrian people to take a decision on
their leader, Nuland said America`s focus is on doing what it
can to increase the international pressure on him, to support
those who want a democratic future for Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city