Syrian actress ‘attacked’ while reading ‘pro Assad’ poem in Cairo
Manama: A Syrian actress has accused Islamists of attacking her at the Cairo Opera House where she was reading a poem supportive of President Bashar al-Assad.
According to sources, Raghda, a staunch backer of Assad, claimed that Syria’s Muslim Brotherhood was behind the attack, which left her with bruises.
Bur, the Supreme Culture Council, an Egyptian governmental agency that organised the poetry-reciting event, accused Raghda of provoking the audience with her poem, Gulf News reports.
The council said in a statement that Raghda was not on the list of speakers, and that she had been allowed to take the podium when she asked for reading out one of her poems
According to the paper, witnesses said that some members of the audience shouted at Raghda because her poem praised Assad.
Her poem also alleged that Islamists abuse Syrian women coming to Egypt as refugees.
The altercation developed into a fistfight between the protesters and her escorts, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA