Syrian actress ‘attacked’ while reading ‘pro Assad’ poem in Cairo
Manama: A Syrian actress has accused Islamists of attacking her at the Cairo Opera House where she was reading a poem supportive of President Bashar al-Assad.
According to sources, Raghda, a staunch backer of Assad, claimed that Syria’s Muslim Brotherhood was behind the attack, which left her with bruises.
Bur, the Supreme Culture Council, an Egyptian governmental agency that organised the poetry-reciting event, accused Raghda of provoking the audience with her poem, Gulf News reports.
The council said in a statement that Raghda was not on the list of speakers, and that she had been allowed to take the podium when she asked for reading out one of her poems
According to the paper, witnesses said that some members of the audience shouted at Raghda because her poem praised Assad.
Her poem also alleged that Islamists abuse Syrian women coming to Egypt as refugees.
The altercation developed into a fistfight between the protesters and her escorts, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE