Syrian actress ‘attacked’ while reading ‘pro Assad’ poem in Cairo
Manama: A Syrian actress has accused Islamists of attacking her at the Cairo Opera House where she was reading a poem supportive of President Bashar al-Assad.
According to sources, Raghda, a staunch backer of Assad, claimed that Syria’s Muslim Brotherhood was behind the attack, which left her with bruises.
Bur, the Supreme Culture Council, an Egyptian governmental agency that organised the poetry-reciting event, accused Raghda of provoking the audience with her poem, Gulf News reports.
The council said in a statement that Raghda was not on the list of speakers, and that she had been allowed to take the podium when she asked for reading out one of her poems
According to the paper, witnesses said that some members of the audience shouted at Raghda because her poem praised Assad.
Her poem also alleged that Islamists abuse Syrian women coming to Egypt as refugees.
The altercation developed into a fistfight between the protesters and her escorts, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border