Syrian Army committing crimes against humanity: Italy minister
Brussels: The Syrian Army is committing crimes against humanity as well as ethnic cleansing of the population in its bid to quell the revolt against President Bashar al-Assad, Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi has said.
"This is an absolutely unprecedented assault, a massacre of its own people," Terzi said in Brussels where European Union foreign ministers Monday beefed up sanctions and an arms embargo against the Syrian government.
"The army has gone far beyond the level of repression we have seen other countries that have risen up in the Arab Spring. This has the whiff of ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity."
The Assad regime, dominated by the minority Alawite sect, has drawn international condemnation for its bloody repression of the 16-month rebellion against its rule.
The Red Cross has defined the situation as a civil war and there have been reports of sectarian killings, massacres and torture.
The UN Security Council last week extended its observation mission in Syria for another month but Terzi ruled out NATO intervention.
Despite the bloodshed, Terzi claimed the situation in Syria was not comparable to that in Libya last year, when the UN authorised a NATO operation that helped rebels oust longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi from power.
The EU Monday agreed to freeze the assets of 26 Syrians and three firms close to Assad in the 17th round of sanctions and to inspect vessels and planes suspected of carrying arms.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!