Syrian Army defectors deny attacking Baath office
Beirut: The commander of a group of Syrian Army defectors has denied earlier claims that his followers attacked the headquarters of Syria`s ruling Baath party in the capital Damascus.
Riad al-Asaad, a Turkey-based Air Force colonel who heads the Free Syrian Army, says in a video posted online that the attack was "fabricated" by President Bashar Assad`s regime to harm the image of the "revolution”.
Al-Asaad`s statement late Sunday came hours after his group claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement posted on its Facebook page. It was not clear why the FSA retracted its claim.
Al-Asaad said his group does not attack civilian targets.
Activists said rocket-propelled grenades struck the Baath party headquarters early Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened