Syrian Army defectors deny attacking Baath office
Beirut: The commander of a group of Syrian Army defectors has denied earlier claims that his followers attacked the headquarters of Syria`s ruling Baath party in the capital Damascus.
Riad al-Asaad, a Turkey-based Air Force colonel who heads the Free Syrian Army, says in a video posted online that the attack was "fabricated" by President Bashar Assad`s regime to harm the image of the "revolution”.
Al-Asaad`s statement late Sunday came hours after his group claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement posted on its Facebook page. It was not clear why the FSA retracted its claim.
Al-Asaad said his group does not attack civilian targets.
Activists said rocket-propelled grenades struck the Baath party headquarters early Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf