Syrian Army enters tense port city
Damascus: Activists and eyewitnesses say Syrian Army units have deployed in key areas of a seaside Mediterranean city rocked by protests and unrest.
They said that troops in Army vehicles entered Latakia at night following a day of violence and chaos in which protesters and the government accused each other of violence and incitement.
They spoke on Sunday on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal.
The government on Saturday accused armed groups of attacking people in the religiously mixed resort city, adding at least two people were killed by rooftop snipers.
Protesters accused government forces of opening fire on protesters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH