Syrian Army enters tense port city
Damascus: Activists and eyewitnesses say Syrian Army units have deployed in key areas of a seaside Mediterranean city rocked by protests and unrest.
They said that troops in Army vehicles entered Latakia at night following a day of violence and chaos in which protesters and the government accused each other of violence and incitement.
They spoke on Sunday on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal.
The government on Saturday accused armed groups of attacking people in the religiously mixed resort city, adding at least two people were killed by rooftop snipers.
Protesters accused government forces of opening fire on protesters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown