Syrian Army kills more than 40 rebels
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Damascus: Syrian forces ambushed some rebel groups at al-Ataibeh suburb near Damascus on Friday, killing over 40 rebels and injuring several others. The attack on the rebels was the part of the Syrian Army operation aiming to destroy rebel groups.
The ambush came hours after President Bashar al-Assad`s forces captured the town of Hatitat al-Turkomen, securing a key highway that links the capital with the Damascus International Airport.
It is being suspected that the rebel groups belonged to the al Qaeda-linked Nusra Front.
The killing of the rebels is also being considered as a first step toward regaining Damascus`s northern al-Qalamoun area.
A Syrian Army officer on the condition of anonymity said that there were foreign fighters among the dead.
The opposition had earlier in the day said it would meet on November 9 to decide whether to attend a proposed peace conference the United Nations is trying to convene in Geneva parallel with chemical disarmament efforts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing