Syrian Army kills more than 40 rebels
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Damascus: Syrian forces ambushed some rebel groups at al-Ataibeh suburb near Damascus on Friday, killing over 40 rebels and injuring several others. The attack on the rebels was the part of the Syrian Army operation aiming to destroy rebel groups.
The ambush came hours after President Bashar al-Assad`s forces captured the town of Hatitat al-Turkomen, securing a key highway that links the capital with the Damascus International Airport.
It is being suspected that the rebel groups belonged to the al Qaeda-linked Nusra Front.
The killing of the rebels is also being considered as a first step toward regaining Damascus`s northern al-Qalamoun area.
A Syrian Army officer on the condition of anonymity said that there were foreign fighters among the dead.
The opposition had earlier in the day said it would meet on November 9 to decide whether to attend a proposed peace conference the United Nations is trying to convene in Geneva parallel with chemical disarmament efforts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley