Syrian Army launches assault on key airport near Damascus
Beirut: Syrian armed forces launched a massive operation on Friday to secure a strategic military airport near Damascus ahead of possible US-led military strikes, a monitoring group said.
Troops bombarded rebel positions in Moadamiyet al-Sham, a town southwest of Damascus near Mazzeh airport, one of the country`s key air bases, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman said: "The regime is trying to seize control of Moadamiyet al-Sham before a probable Western strike, because the town commands access to Mazzeh airport".
The base is guarded by the army`s elite Fourth Armoured Division -- a unit led by President Bashar al-Assad`s brother Maher -- which is responsible for security in and around Damascus.
The army has been unsuccessfully trying for months to take Moadamiyet al-Sham back from the rebels. Western leaders accuse the Assad regime of unleashing chemical attacks on August 21 east and southwest of Damascus, including in Moadamiyet al-Sham, that killed hundreds.
US President Barack Obama has been trying to secure international support for a punitive strike on regime targets and will seek congressional approval for such action next week.
The Syrian government denies using chemical weapons, blaming instead rebels trying to topple the regime of using the poisonous agents.
The Britain-based Observatory, which relies on a network of activists and medics on the ground for its reports, said at least four surface-to-surface missiles fired by regime forces struck Moadamiyet al-Sham today.
Rebels and troops also clashed in the area as Assad`s forces tried to rout the insurgents, it added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata