Syrian Army recaptures key military base in Aleppo
Damascus: The Syrian troops recaptured a key military base in the country`s northern province of Aleppo, state TV reported Sunday.
The Syrian troops Sunday regained full control of the Brigade 80 base in the countryside of Aleppo province along with a number of other areas after days of intense fighting, reported Xinhua citing state media.
The base, responsible for securing the adjacent international airport of Aleppo, had been witnessing intense clashes since early Friday between the Syrian troops, backed by pro-government militiamen, and several rebel groups, activists` reports said.
On Saturday, the rebels reportedly launched a counter-attack and regained parts of the base. Yet, the ongoing clashes have resulted in the Syrian troops` full recapture of the base.
While the state media did not give a death toll, the pro-government al-Khabar TV said that the clashes at the base killed some 90 armed rebels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened