Syrian Army recaptures key military base in Aleppo
Damascus: The Syrian troops recaptured a key military base in the country`s northern province of Aleppo, state TV reported Sunday.
The Syrian troops Sunday regained full control of the Brigade 80 base in the countryside of Aleppo province along with a number of other areas after days of intense fighting, reported Xinhua citing state media.
The base, responsible for securing the adjacent international airport of Aleppo, had been witnessing intense clashes since early Friday between the Syrian troops, backed by pro-government militiamen, and several rebel groups, activists` reports said.
On Saturday, the rebels reportedly launched a counter-attack and regained parts of the base. Yet, the ongoing clashes have resulted in the Syrian troops` full recapture of the base.
While the state media did not give a death toll, the pro-government al-Khabar TV said that the clashes at the base killed some 90 armed rebels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India's tour of Zimbabwe and West Indies: BCCI selection committee to announce squads today
- Narendra Modi in Iran: PM invokes India's 'civilisational ties', aims to boost economic, cultural partnership
- IPL 2016, Match 56: Virat Kohli's RCB earn playoffs spot, to face Gujarat Lions in Qualifier 1
- Jorge Lorenzo pips Marc Marquez to Italian MotoGP win
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg celebrates his wedding anniversary in a 'musical' way! - See pic