Syrian Army stable despite defections: Officials
Washington: US officials say Syria`s military remains loyal despite recent high-profile defections, while the opposition remains fragmented and unable to attack as a unified force, indicating a long, protracted conflict to come.
The Syrian regime is maintaining troop loyalty by keeping paychecks coming even as food and fuel run out for the rest of the country, according to US intelligence officials who briefed reporters on the Syrian conflict today. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss classified intelligence.
The regime has also used militias to attack Sunni neighborhoods instead of involving the mostly Sunni Army, they said.
Officials say the opposition has learned effective guerilla-like tactics, but is still too disorganized to hold territory, which will likely produce a continuing "seesaw" battle between the two sides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security