Syrian cabinet to discuss implementation of Assad’s ‘peace proposal’
Beirut: Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad’s proposal to resolve the country`s crisis has evoked mixed reactions from within and outside Syria.
Despite all the reactions the Syrian Prime Minister Wael al- Halki on Monday called for cabinet meeting to discuss ways to implement the plans expressed by Assad.
On Sunday, in a rare national address Assad came up with plans of a national reconciliation conference, the formation of a new government and an amnesty on Sunday.
Assad denounced the opposition as "puppets of the West" and said Syria wanted to negotiate with the "master not the servants". He said the reconciliation conference would exclude "those who have betrayed Syria".
Soon after the speech ended, the Syrian Opposition made heir sentiments clear. Walid Bunni, spokesman for the Syrian National Coalition, said "The opposition rejects his political solution".
Though Assad’s supporters hailed him for his plans and shouted slogans like “God and Assad” for Syria.
Britain`s Foreign Secretary, William Hague condemned the speech by stating it as "Beyond hypocritical".
On Monday United States rejected Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s fresh proposal to end the civil war in his country, asserting his new road map is "detached from reality."
Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi also backed calls by people in Syria for President Bashar al-Assad to be tried for war crimes today.
Though Assad received some support from Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi as he said, "The Islamic republic... Supports President Bashar al-Assad`s initiative for a comprehensive solution to the country`s crisis,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi