Syrian cabinet to discuss implementation of Assad’s ‘peace proposal’
Beirut: Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad’s proposal to resolve the country`s crisis has evoked mixed reactions from within and outside Syria.
Despite all the reactions the Syrian Prime Minister Wael al- Halki on Monday called for cabinet meeting to discuss ways to implement the plans expressed by Assad.
On Sunday, in a rare national address Assad came up with plans of a national reconciliation conference, the formation of a new government and an amnesty on Sunday.
Assad denounced the opposition as "puppets of the West" and said Syria wanted to negotiate with the "master not the servants". He said the reconciliation conference would exclude "those who have betrayed Syria".
Soon after the speech ended, the Syrian Opposition made heir sentiments clear. Walid Bunni, spokesman for the Syrian National Coalition, said "The opposition rejects his political solution".
Though Assad’s supporters hailed him for his plans and shouted slogans like “God and Assad” for Syria.
Britain`s Foreign Secretary, William Hague condemned the speech by stating it as "Beyond hypocritical".
On Monday United States rejected Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s fresh proposal to end the civil war in his country, asserting his new road map is "detached from reality."
Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi also backed calls by people in Syria for President Bashar al-Assad to be tried for war crimes today.
Though Assad received some support from Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi as he said, "The Islamic republic... Supports President Bashar al-Assad`s initiative for a comprehensive solution to the country`s crisis,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena marches ahead in Mumbai, but BJP gains lead in Pune, Nashik