Syrian cabinet to discuss implementation of Assad’s ‘peace proposal’
Beirut: Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad’s proposal to resolve the country`s crisis has evoked mixed reactions from within and outside Syria.
Despite all the reactions the Syrian Prime Minister Wael al- Halki on Monday called for cabinet meeting to discuss ways to implement the plans expressed by Assad.
On Sunday, in a rare national address Assad came up with plans of a national reconciliation conference, the formation of a new government and an amnesty on Sunday.
Assad denounced the opposition as "puppets of the West" and said Syria wanted to negotiate with the "master not the servants". He said the reconciliation conference would exclude "those who have betrayed Syria".
Soon after the speech ended, the Syrian Opposition made heir sentiments clear. Walid Bunni, spokesman for the Syrian National Coalition, said "The opposition rejects his political solution".
Though Assad’s supporters hailed him for his plans and shouted slogans like “God and Assad” for Syria.
Britain`s Foreign Secretary, William Hague condemned the speech by stating it as "Beyond hypocritical".
On Monday United States rejected Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s fresh proposal to end the civil war in his country, asserting his new road map is "detached from reality."
Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi also backed calls by people in Syria for President Bashar al-Assad to be tried for war crimes today.
Though Assad received some support from Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi as he said, "The Islamic republic... Supports President Bashar al-Assad`s initiative for a comprehensive solution to the country`s crisis,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed