Syrian cabinet to discuss implementation of Assad’s ‘peace proposal’
Beirut: Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad’s proposal to resolve the country`s crisis has evoked mixed reactions from within and outside Syria.
Despite all the reactions the Syrian Prime Minister Wael al- Halki on Monday called for cabinet meeting to discuss ways to implement the plans expressed by Assad.
On Sunday, in a rare national address Assad came up with plans of a national reconciliation conference, the formation of a new government and an amnesty on Sunday.
Assad denounced the opposition as "puppets of the West" and said Syria wanted to negotiate with the "master not the servants". He said the reconciliation conference would exclude "those who have betrayed Syria".
Soon after the speech ended, the Syrian Opposition made heir sentiments clear. Walid Bunni, spokesman for the Syrian National Coalition, said "The opposition rejects his political solution".
Though Assad’s supporters hailed him for his plans and shouted slogans like “God and Assad” for Syria.
Britain`s Foreign Secretary, William Hague condemned the speech by stating it as "Beyond hypocritical".
On Monday United States rejected Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s fresh proposal to end the civil war in his country, asserting his new road map is "detached from reality."
Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi also backed calls by people in Syria for President Bashar al-Assad to be tried for war crimes today.
Though Assad received some support from Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi as he said, "The Islamic republic... Supports President Bashar al-Assad`s initiative for a comprehensive solution to the country`s crisis,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal