Syrian chemical weapons safeguarded: Russia
Moscow: The Syrian government has assured Moscow the safety of its chemical weapons, Russia`s Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said Friday.
Russia has been working with Syrian authorities and was given "strong assurance" that the chemical arsenal was safeguarded and would not fall into the wrong hands, Gatilov said in an interview published on the ministry`s website.
"They assured us strict control is being exercised over the safety of these weapons, and there is no threat to them currently or the situation could get out of control," said the senior Russia diplomat.
"Guarantees were also given that the chemical weapons will reliably remain in their current place," Gatilov added.
Russia would keep on working with the Syrian government on the safety of its stockpile of chemical weapons, and meanwhile it has urged other foreign partners to exert possible influence on the Syrian opposition in the same direction, Gatilov said.
He warned that "any loss of control over the situation is fraught with the severe complication both for Syria and the region as a whole."
The Syrian Foreign Ministry said last month that it might use chemical or germ weapons if there was specific outside aggression. Such weapons will never be used in any inner fight or against the Syrian people amid the current crisis, according to the ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers