Syrian chemical weapons threat ‘not escalating’: Panetta
Washington: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has said intelligence reports suggests that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is not taking aggressive steps to use chemical weapons against the opposition groups trying to oust his regime.
Panetta told reporters during a flight to Kuwait that the relevant intelligence had ‘really kind of levelled off.’
“We haven`t seen anything new indicating any aggressive steps to move forward in that way,” Panetta said.
According to CBS news, he added that US officials ‘continue to monitor it very closely and continue to make clear to them that they should not under any means make use of these chemical weapons against their own population.’
“That would produce serious consequences,” the report quoted him, as saying.
The report pointed out that Panetta himself never said publicly that Assad was preparing chemical weapons.
He, along with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, instead issued repeated, terse warnings to Assad not to take the step, the report said.
"There is no question that we remain very concerned, very concerned, that as the opposition advances, in particular on Damascus, that the regime might very well consider the use of chemical weapons,” Panetta had said last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur