Syrian defence minister visits Aleppo
Damascus: Syrian Defence Minister Fahed Jassem al-Furaij on Friday visited a number of military posts in the country`s northern province of Aleppo where he said the place will be liberated from the grip of terrorists.
"Aleppo will remain victorious under the leadership of President Bashar al-Assad and the heroic Syrian army and will soon be liberated from the armed terrorist groups," Xinhua quoted Furaij as saying.
The minister`s surprise visit to the hard-hit Aleppo came apparently to showcase confidence and power.
Aleppo has emerged as the main battlefield between the Syrian troops and the various jihadist rebels, who have controlled large swathes of the once-called Syria`s economic hub.
Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem recently proposed a ceasefire in Aleppo and possible prisoner swap with the rebels, as part of the government`s goodwill signs ahead of the negotiations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living