Syrian diplomat in Russia to discuss peace plan
Just two days after UN envoy Lakhdar Brahimi met with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to negotiate peace plan, Syria has sent top diplomats to Russia in order to discuss the same.
Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad met with Russia`s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Thursday, said Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Alexander Lukashevich.
Lukashevich denies the existence of a new US-Russian peace plan. He says Russia is pushing for fulfillment of a plan brokered by Brahimi`s predecessor, Kofi Annan, which was approved at an international conference in Geneva in June.
Russia`s says it is seeking to revive last summer`s peace plan for Syria in talks with a top Syrian diplomat and the international envoy on the crisis.
Mekdad`s trip follows UN-Arab League envoy Lakhdar Brahimi`s meeting with Syrian President Bashar Assad in Damascus on Monday. Brahimi is to visit Moscow this weekend.
Syria is witnessing 21st month of rebellion against Assad regime that started as peaceful protests but has now burst into a full-blown civil war. Approximately 45,000 have been reportedly killed in the uprising so far.
The international community has been impactless in solving Syrian crisis, with former UN envoy Kofi Annan trying his best with his six-point peace plan, but ending up with nothing fruitful.
Not much is known about the peace plan proposed by present Un envoy Lakhdar Brahimi who is still in Syria and met Tuesday with representatives of the opposition National Coordination Body.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’