Syrian envoy to UAE defects after wife joins rebel
Dubai: Syria`s ambassador to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) defected Wednesday, a day after his wife, the Syrian envoy to Cyprus, announced she was joining the rebels.
Abdel Latif al-Dabbagh`s wife Lamia al-Hariri was the Syrian ambassador to Cyprus.
She announced Tuesday she was defecting and joining the rebels locked in a 16-month uprising against President Bashar al-Assad.
Brigadier-General Manaf Tlas, the highest-ranked defector till date from the Syrian regime, in a message aired late Tuesday urged Syrians to unite and look towards a free and democratic post-revolutionary Syria.
Tlas`s broadcast was aired by Arabic satellite TV channel Al-Arabiya, reportedly from Paris. It was his first public appearance since he fled Syria earlier this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj