Syrian envoy to UAE defects after wife joins rebel
Dubai: Syria`s ambassador to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) defected Wednesday, a day after his wife, the Syrian envoy to Cyprus, announced she was joining the rebels.
Abdel Latif al-Dabbagh`s wife Lamia al-Hariri was the Syrian ambassador to Cyprus.
She announced Tuesday she was defecting and joining the rebels locked in a 16-month uprising against President Bashar al-Assad.
Brigadier-General Manaf Tlas, the highest-ranked defector till date from the Syrian regime, in a message aired late Tuesday urged Syrians to unite and look towards a free and democratic post-revolutionary Syria.
Tlas`s broadcast was aired by Arabic satellite TV channel Al-Arabiya, reportedly from Paris. It was his first public appearance since he fled Syria earlier this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- UN to choose new non-permanent Security Council members
- Heavy rains lash Himachal Pradesh, Met department predicts more in coming days
- Deepika Padukone with Vin Diesel's daughter Pauline is the most AWWDORABLE click of the day!
- US accuses Russia of harassing, intimidating diplomats
- Asian markets sink after US, Europe extend Brexit losses